Flood Plain Permit Requirements

City & State Permits

All development projects within the 100-year flood plain (not just construction of buildings, but filling, excavation, fences, etc.) are required to obtain a permit from the city and Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.

Federal Permits

Depending on the effect on the 100-year flood plain, a permit from the Federal Emergency Management Agency may be also be required. Applications must be made and necessary permits must be obtained prior to doing any work in a 100-year flood plain area.

For More Information

Please contact the Office of Engineering to receive the information you will need in order to properly develop in the flood plain at 586-446-2720. You may report any illegal development activities to the same number as well.