What is a principal residence exemption?
If you own and occupy your home as a principal residence, it may be exempt from a portion of local school operating taxes. Your assessment notice will list this percentage near the bottom of the notice. If the percentage is listed as “0” on your assessment notice and you wish to claim an exemption for the current year, a Homeowner’s Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit (2368) form must be completed and filed with the Assessing Office by May 1, 2014.

If you have a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) on your property and you no longer own and occupy the property as your primary residence, you must file a Request to Rescind Homeowner’s Principal Residence Exemption (2602) form with the Assessing Office. These 2 forms are also available at the Assessing Office and on the Department of Treasury and Sterling Heights websites.Department of Treasury

Show All Answers

1. What is Proposal A?
2. How are assessed values determined?
3. When will I receive my assessment notice?
4. What will occur after a property changes ownership?
5. What is a principal residence exemption?
6. What is a conditional rescission of principal residence exemption?